~ THE EMERALD TABLET OF THOTH~
THE EMERALD TABLET OF THOTH
Said to have originally been inscribed on green crystal, the Emerald Tablet is organized in seven principle statements. These statements have become known as rubrics (from the Latin rubeo, meaning “red”) because, in the Latin translations, the first letter of each paragraph was highlighted in red ink.
Just about every alchemist from Albertus Magnus to Isaac Newton had their own personal translation of the Emerald Tablet.
Now we present a new transliteration. We hope this sheds some light upon the mysteries of alchemy for all those who seek to emulate the eternal order above, through mastery over their own consciousness . . . first. If they then seek the Great Work within the world of minerals, may it be:
“as above . . . and within . . . so below.”
Note that when the tablet refers to the “Universe,” it is talking about the material universe. When it speaks of the “Whole Universe,” it is referencing not only the material universe (Below) but also the higher level of the aetheric medium itself (Above).
17th century depiction of the Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus (Heinrich Khunrath, 1606)
THE EMERALD TABLET
The Emerald Tablet was at the center of Western alchemy and contains concepts crucial to understanding alchemy as it is practiced around the world today. Thoth (Hermes Trismegistus) is said to have recorded the occult wisdom of the ancients (from what we know today as Atlantis, Atla (Patala), Avalon, Atlan, etc.) on this tablet. It was held to contain the essence of alchemical philosophy and has been credited as the source of both alchemy and the scientific method. Many believe that the Emerald Tablet contains a formula for the perfection of anything, whether it be a metal or the human soul. Although this point may be arguable, what this set of statements does represent is a terse esoteric formula for the operations required to produce the lapis philosophorum (Philosopher’s Stone) — a conjoining of the five OMMPA components of the QE (quinta essentia) into the final lapis.
It is the nature of the universe, as elucidated by this hoary text, which holds the mystery to understanding all things. In its abbreviated form — as above, so below — this statement is also an accurate description of the true nature of aetheric structure, as reflected both in the macro universe of the planetary conjunctio, as it is in the micro universe of the atomic conjunctio; the lapis philosophorum being the perfected example of this harmonic dance in its grand occult form.
However, there was no secret formula hidden in these rubrics. The post-Pythagorean focus on math and post-Phoenician reliance upon the written language, deceives many into looking for some cipher or code, where only a direct esoteric description of aetheric structures and dynamics actually exists. The interconnectedness of this form of communication can only be fully appreciated by the mind-at-large — the mind freed of the labyrinth of the ego-projection of reality. Occult symbols are designed to trigger gnosis within the initiate, not to present gnosis as words or formulae.
We must understand the differences between occult (alchemical) symboliqué and our own literalism, if we are to truly comprehend the Emerald Tablet. Occult language describes dynamic geometry and synergistic relationships, and modern languages merely describe facets of models of material forms. This disparity might be compared to contrasting artistic realism and cubism. The former is a direct depiction of a single perspective of a view of a thing, and the latter a composite view from many angles; never truly recognizable in any one part, and at once revealing only through its unity.
So universal was the belief that these writings of Thoth (Hermes Trismegistus) held the ‘secret of the ages,’ that nearly every medieval alchemist had a copy of it hanging on his laboratory wall, and constantly referred to the secret formula it was supposed to contain.
THE EMERALD TABLET ~ THE SEVEN RUBRICS
1) In truth, without deceit, certain, and most veritable.
2) That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracles of the One Thing. And just as all things have come from this One Thing, through the meditation of One Mind, so do all created things originate from this One Thing, through Transformation.
3) Its father is the Sun; its mother the Moon. The Wind carries it in its belly; its nurse is the Earth. It is the origin of All, the consecration of the Universe; its inherent Strength is perfected, if it is turned into Earth.
4) Separate the Earth from Fire, the Subtle from the Gross, gently and with great Ingenuity. It rises from Earth to Heaven and descends again to Earth, thereby combining within Itself the powers of both the Above and the Below.
5) Thus will you obtain the Glory of the Whole Universe. All Obscurity will be clear to you. This is the greatest Force of all powers, because it overcomes every Subtle thing and penetrates every Solid thing.
6) In this way was the Universe created. From this comes many wondrous Applications, because this is the Pattern.
7) Therefore am I called Thrice Greatest Hermes, having all three parts of the wisdom of the Whole Universe. Herein have I completely explained the Operation of the Sun.
1) The 1st rubric sets the tone of the documents and asks us to come to a higher awareness and become open to deeper eternal truths. This certainly and truth are based in the one true cosmology.
2) The 2nd rubric presents the Doctrine of Correspondences, which describes a balanced-polarized relationship between the realm of spirit Above and the realm of matter Below. Alchemists attempted to enter into what was called a Vertical Axis of reality, in their meditations. The Horizontal Axis — by contrast — is our normal material world. An example of the experience of the Vertical Axis is a work in the Corpus Hermeticum called the 'Divine Pymander' (Divine Mind). Allegedly written by Hermes Trismegistus, it describes his meeting with the Divine Mind and what it revealed to him about the nature of reality.
3) The 3rd rubric elaborates on the nature of the One Thing (i.e. the ALL or aetheric medium), which is the subject of the tablet. The alchemists have usually interpreted the One Thing to mean the First Matter or Primordial Unifying Force, and this rubric describes its characteristics. This Primodrial Unifying Force is the tessellated cubic aether (see Waltman-Taddei Cosmology). There is an alchemical encoding here, in the imagery of the Sun and Moon. The Sun refers here to the Red Dragon, and the Moon to the Green Dragon. These two principles — naturally-occurring subsets of the quinta essentia's (QE) five primordial metals — usually found as separate mineral types within the earth, must be united to create the Philosopher's Stone. We hold these five to be: Cu, Rh, Ag, Ir and Au.
The first two sentences of this rubric subtly present the Four Elements in the order of Fire, Water, Air, and Earth. Alchemists associated each of these elements directly with the first four operations of the (Green Dragon) alchemy: Calcination, Dissolution, Separation, and Conjunction.
4) The 4th rubric is the most mystical part of the Emerald Tablet and seems to be telling us how to enter the spiritual realm Above. It also describes the last three alchemical operations of Fermentation, Distillation, and Coagulation. it is these three operations which must be used to coalesce the Green Dragon and Red Dragon QE into the final Opus: the Philosopher's Stone. Hence, in this 4th rubric we have the second half of the formula for the Philosopher's Stone.
5) The 5th rubric describes the result of the previous conditions, which is the purified Quintessence, which aids in connecting the cells of our bodies (via superconductivity and a phenomena known as the Josephson Junction) through the animating power of the aether.
It should be mentioned that Thoth/Hermes assumes the concurrent spiritual ascent of the soul of the alchemist involved in this Opus. For all the OMMPAs (ORMUS) in the world cannot accelerate the mind-body complex of those who would be alchemists, if the spiritual tuning (born of spiritual discipline) is absent. This is why the great work was to be understood to be transpiring on three levels — mineral, body and spirit — simultaneously.
6) The 6th rubric suggests that the previous rubrics have described a specific universal Pattern (see the page ‘Language of Mind — Kolam Design’), referring to the light amplitude patterns which are the 'spirits' which animate all things (see the Waltman-Taddei Cosmology page for a primer on the aetheric 'fabric') that is the basis for all things. Life is founded in 'spirit,' or what we refer to as contiguous-light-amplitude structures — also referred to as 'intelligence.' As the aether penetrates all matter, so the alchemist, in tune with the harmony of natural law, may tap into the akashic record' in order to understand all things. This is not only the formula that the alchemist follows in his work (by increasing his own internal light), but also the overall pattern of nature which it uses in perfecting matter. Higher energies of light can be thought of as increasing a body's (animal or mineral) particle frequency of vibration of (a literal quickening) which perfects matter. This is what the Esoteric might refer to as a being filled with light.
7) The 7th and last rubric, identifies the author of the tablet as “Thrice Greatest Hermes.” Hermes is the Greek name of Thoth, who in the Roman tradition was known as Mercury. His Latin name is Hermes Trismegistus, which means “Thrice Greatest Hermes.” Hermes (or Thoth) is thrice-greatest because he has gained knowledge on all three levels of reality he understood the connection between the physical and the spiritual levels of existence, through comprehending the true nature of his own (mental) consciousness. He is now free of the cycle of rebirth and exists outside the illusion of time.
When he refers to the Operation of the Sun, this should be understood is the complete explanation of the workings of the universe, as the universe is a steady-state system (this does not refer to the steady-state theory as postulate by Fred Hoyle in 1960s). The light of the sun (photons, which we refer to as traveling light amplitude) travel into the immensity of space, and intergalactic space.
The reader needs to understand that in every cubic meter of intergalactic space there is at least one hydrogen-1 atom (or anionic helium, which is mechanically similar). Hydrogen-1, speaking mechanically, is a non-harmonic structure. Unlike most other atoms, which contain two or more electrons in their outer orbitals, hydrogen-1 has only one, and acts as a single lever — as opposed to a double lever. This was one of the fundamental principles deduced by Charles Waltman.
In other words, as we model the relationship of atomic structures (rapidly moving through a stagnant aether), we understand that it drags through the aether when so accelerated, passing this photonic energy back into the aether. As such the Sun is a pump, and the aetheric 'vacuum' is a sump, making the universe a sort of energetic pendulum, or tank circuit. Thoth (Hermes) is correctly stating the cosmology, and also explaining that, once a body has joined with the light (harmonized) it too becomes an energy source, or amplifier. This advanced form of mind-body configuration (soul) is referred to as glorified or translated in many ancient texts.
These terms may seem a bit obscure, but they are — once understood — correct in their fundamental principles. The ancient esoteric practitioners understood the universe well. It is our generation which does not.
AFTERWORD ~ GNOSIS
We offer this modern gnosis, received by the latter-day prophet Joseph Smith. The truth is always the same, no matter the epoch; for the laws governing spirit and matter are, likewise, eternal. We offer this concise statement on aetheric tuning and harmonics within the human body, for your consideration:
He that ascended up on high, as also he descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things, that he might be in all and through all things, the light of truth;
Which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ. As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made.
As also he is in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made;
As also the light of the stars, and the power thereof by which they were made;
And the earth also, and the power thereof, even the earth upon which you stand.
And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;
Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—
The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.